An evergreen bamboo 8 to 13 ft high, forming a dense thicket of stems erect and leafless the first year, afterwards becoming heavily laden with foliage and arching gracefully outwards. Stems 1⁄4 to 2⁄5 in. in diameter, hollow, at first bright green, finally yellow. Stem-sheaths straw-coloured, 3 to 5 in. long, 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 in. wide, rounded at the top where is a reflexed, awl-shaped tongue 11⁄2 to 21⁄2 in. long, glabrous except for minute hairs on the margin when young. Leaves 21⁄2 to 41⁄2 in. long, 2⁄5 to 3⁄5 in. wide, rounded at the base, tapering to a long slender apex, rich green and glabrous except for minute appressed bristles on both margins; secondary veins three or four each side the midrib; stalk 1⁄8 to 1⁄/6 in. long. Leaf-sheath bristly where it joins its stalk.
Native of W. Hupeh, China, on uplands up to 10,000 ft altitude; discovered and introduced by Wilson in 1907 (No. 1462). A small plant was obtained from the Arnold Arboretum for Kew in 1913. This was easily propagated by division and afterwards distributed. Since then it has become well established in British gardens and has proved quite hardy. It more nearly resembles A. nitida than any other of the bamboos previously in cultivation and is equally beautiful and graceful. A. nitida is very distinct in its purple-black stems, purple stem-sheaths and smaller leaves. The specific name was given in honour of Muriel, daughter of the late E. H. Wilson.