A partially evergreen, or, in hard winters, deciduous shrub 15 ft high in the open, still more on walls and in favoured places; of rather open, gaunt habit; stems angular, covered with a tawny, loose felt. Leaves lance-shaped, ordinarily 5 to 8 in. long, about one-fourth as wide (occasionally considerably larger), tapered at both ends, but more gradually towards the point; round-toothed, dark green and wrinkled but not downy above, covered beneath with a tawny felt; stalk 1⁄4 in. or less long. Flowers fragrant, bright yellow, produced in June in balls 3⁄4 in. diameter, eight or ten of these globose heads are arranged in a terminal panicle in opposite pairs, each on a stalk 1 to 11⁄2 in. long; the whole panicle 6 to 8 in. long. Bot. Mag., t. 174.
Native of Chile and Peru; introduced by the firm of Kennedy and Lee in 1774. This singularly handsome and striking shrub is hardy at Kew; only in exceptionally severe winters does it suffer injury. It is distinct among cultivated buddleias in the yellow of its flowers and their arrangement in globular heads.
From the Supplement (Vol. V)
† cv. 'Lemon Ball'. – Later flowering than the common clone, with lemon-yellow flowers. Put into commerce by Messrs. Treseder.
† B. nappii Lorenz – This resembles B. globosa in having the flowers in globose clusters, but these are solitary (not grouped in panicles) and the flowers are not scented. Leaves grey and tomentose above. It occurs in Neuquen province, Argentina, along the Rio Negro and its tributaries, and was introduced by Comber in 1925 as a form of B. globosa. It is hardy at Kew, where it has been grown since 1927.