There are currently no active references in this article.
A shrub of dense habit 3 to 6 ft high and wide; young shoots erect, slightly ribbed, glabrous or nearly so. Leaves trifoliolate, crowded, glaucous, main-stalk 1⁄2 to 11⁄4 in. long, leaflets of equal size, sessile, oval to roundish or obovate, 1⁄2 to 11⁄4 in. long, about two-thirds as wide, entire but frequently apiculate, glabrous. Flowers golden yellow, pea-shaped, 1⁄2 in. long, densely set on quite erect, slender, terminal racemes 3 to 7 in. long by 11⁄2 in. wide; stalks and calyx silky hairy. Pods 11⁄2 to 2 in. long, 1⁄4 in. wide, freely and conspicuously warted, carrying up to nine seeds.
Native of Morocco, on the slopes of the Main Atlas Range at 3,000-9,000 ft; introduced by E. K. Balls in 1936. It is a notable and very attractive shrub and was exhibited in flower by the late Sir Frederick Stern at Vincent Square on 21st June 1938 and given an Award of Merit. It grew for many years in his garden at Highdown but was almost exterminated in the winter of 1962-3, only one plant now remaining.