There are no active references in this article.
An evergreen shrub of lax habit to 6 ft or more high, glabrous in all its parts. Leaves opposite or in threes, ovate to lanceolate or narrowly elliptic, to 3 in. long, toothed. Flowers borne singly in the leaf-axils (sometimes two or three together), pendulous on slender stalks up to 3⁄4 in. long. Sepals four, green, lanceolate; petals four, white, 1⁄2 in. long, deeply three-lobed. Fruits heart-shaped, pink or red, black when ripe, up to 3⁄5 in. long. Bot. Mag., t. 4246.
Native of Tasmania; introduced in 1818. The flowers, borne in May, are considerably larger than in the other species described, but are too sparse to make much display. This species is very rare in gardens but is probably no more tender than A. chilensis. Young plants are in cultivation in the R.H.S. Garden, Wisley.