There are no active references in this article.
An evergreen, bushy shrub usually 4 to 8 ft high, but twice as high when trained against a wall, or grown in very mild localities; branchlets downy and distinctly angled. Leaves narrowly obovate, 1⁄3 to 1 in. long, 1⁄8 to 1⁄4 in. wide; tapering at the base to a very short stalk, toothed; dark shining green above, paler beneath and glabrous on both surfaces except for a line of down on the midrib above. Flowers in slender racemes 11⁄2 to 3 in. long, terminating short, rigid, leafy twigs, the lower flowers solitary in the axils of small leaves. Petals white, 1⁄3 in. long, spreading at the ends, but erect at the base, and so close together as to form a tube; receptacle glabrous, top-shaped. Flowers fragrant, appearing from June to August. Bot. Mag., t. 4827.
Native of Chile from 390 30’ southward; introduced by Lobb in 1847. It is perhaps safer on a wall in the London district, but in the south and west counties it thrives excellently as a bush in the open. It has proved hardy in the open in the R.H.S. Garden at Wisley, where there are two examples about 6 ft high in Seven Acres. In Co. Wicklow, Ireland, it reached a height of 15 ft.
E. ‘Newryensis’. – A hybrid between E. rosea (pterocladon) and E. ‘Langleyensis’, raised at the Daisy Hill Nursery, Newry, Co. Down. It is said to be fast-growing and to make a good shelter-plant in milder parts.