There are currently no active references in this article.
A low, creeping evergreen shrub up to 6 or 8 in. high, spreading much wider by underground stems and of dense habit. Leaves mostly 1⁄4 to 3⁄8 in. long, elliptic, oblong-elliptic, or oblong-lanceolate, roundish at the apex, dark shining green, glabrous, lateral veins beneath not visible, margins entire or very faintly crenate-toothed. Flowers white, sometimes tinged with pink, solitary in the leaf-axils, pedicels equalling or shorter than the leaves. Fruits globose, white, edible; calyx not fleshy.
Native of the Andes of Chile and bordering parts of Argentina, from the latitude of Santiago at least as far south as 42° S., common on the volcanoes, where it reaches to the snow-line; described by de Candolle from a specimen collected by Poeppig on the Antuco volcano; introduced by Harold Comber in 1926 under C.501.
P. leucocarpa is closely allied to P. pumila, but is of more open habit and the leaves are not so densely arranged.
P. leucocarpa Hort.
P. leucocarpa var. linearis Hort