There are no active references in this article.
A quite prostrate, semi-evergreen shrub with round stems, devoid of prickles and spines, but densely clothed with yellow-brown bristles about 1⁄8 in. long. Leaves simple, heart-shaped, 3 or 4 in. long by two-thirds as much wide, irregularly toothed, pointed, dark green above, covered with a close whitish felt beneath; there are about seven pairs of parallel veins, which on the under-surface are furnished with bristles, but on the upper surface the bristles are confined in rows between the veins. Leaf-stalk 1 to 11⁄2 in. long, bristly like the stems. Flowers white, 1 in. across, produced singly in the leaf-axils near the end of the shoot, and in a small terminal panicle. Fruits bright red, and of good size and flavour. Bot. Mag., t. 9534.
Native of W. China; first discovered by the French missionary Delavay, but introduced to cultivation by Wilson in 1908. It is remarkably distinct on account of the very bristly stems and leaf-stalks. Coming from elevations up to 10,000 ft it is quite hardy, and makes a good ground-cover in shady places.